1903 - The Meon Valley railway line opened and ran from Fareham through Knowle, Wickham, Droxford, West Meon and thence to Alton and on 10th February, the Roman Catholic Church of the Sacred Heart was registered as a place for the solemnisation of marriages. Montague Foster buys Cams Hall.
1904 - Diversion route avoiding Fareham railway tunnel built.
1905 - The first tram ran on a trial run from Fareham to Gosport in December and 'Pratts Motor Spirit' sold by Hunt's cycle shop.
The Red Lion Hotel, which was one of the great coaching inns and contained an 18th Century minstrels gallery began to sell petrol in addition to its hotel trade. The Swanwick and District Growers' Association was formed by a group of local growers to help and promote their products.
1905/6 - Tramlines were laid in West Street.
1906 - The regular tram service between Fareham and Gosport opened on 24th January with driver Bob Heath and conductor Jim May.
1907 - Prices School moved from West Street to Park Lane.
St Edith's, near what is now the Delme roundabout, was originally an Industrial Home for Girls between the ages of 14 and 16 years and was built in 1869. It was rebuilt in 1907 and there were usually about twenty girls who were trained to be servants for housework, laundry work and cooking. It later became the Church of England's Childrens Home until it was sold and became the Roundabout Hotel. Knowle Halt was built to service Knowle Hospital.
1908 - Number of fishermen had small businesses in the Cams area, but very few ships came up into the Creek and they were mainly carrying coal. The Cattle Market was held regularly and growing in size and business.
1910 - Fareham's first cinema opened.
1911 - A new Fire Station was opened in West Street.
1913 - The Swanwick Basket Factory was set up in the goods yard behind Swanwick Station to make the punnets or 'chips' for the strawberries picked in the area and the Wallington Tannery was sold bringing to an end the holdings of Mr Edward Sharland and his family.
1914 - As the pace of war increased, the Fareham/Gosport railway gained importance in connection with Gosport's role as victualler to the Navy. There was an increase in supplies to and from the Clarence Yard and also in troop movements and later in the carrying of wounded servicemen to and from Haslar Hospital.
1915 - The Stokes Bay railway line was closed.
1920 - Cams Hill, built on the site of the mill mentioned in the Domesday Book, was demolished.
1921 - The War Memorial to commemorate those who died from Fareham in the World War was erected in West Street. It was unveiled by Lord Haig. Fareham gained its first taxi rank and Tom Parker started farming at Charity Farm in north Fareham.
1922 - A wooden War Memorial built to commemorate those from Stubbington and Hill Head who fell in the World Warn wa dedicated.
1923 - The Electrical Theatre in West Street, where the first silent movies in Fareham were shown, was refurbished and re-opened as the Alexandra Theatre. The Fire Brigade received their first motor engine costing £800. from Dennis Brothers of Guildford and was the answer to a prayer that they had been saying since 1919. Until then the fire engine was mor-or-less a horse and cart!
1926 - A boat-building yard was set up by Messrs R & A Hamper and, together with their other boatyard in Mill Lane, became the focus for boatbuilding in Fareham.
1927 - Blackbrook Grove was bought by the Diocese of Portsmouth and renamed Bishopswood on becoming the home of the newly created Bishop of Portsmouth.
1928 - A private girls' school which had been housed in Western House in West Street moved into Wykeham House, number 69 High Street, where it was to remain for sixty years and was renamed Wykeham House School.
Because of his success in his farming interests, Tom Parker set himself up as a dairyman so that he could sell his own produce direct to the public, and became hugely siddessful. 1,287,925 baskets of strawberries left Swanwick for London.
1929 - The last Provincial tram ran on 31st December, The tracks were dug up and the route taken over by buses. The tram company also changed its name to the Gosport and Fareham Omnibus Company.
Because of the demand for its services, the town fire engine had a trailer attached enabling it to carry extra equipment to attend more serious fires.
1930 - A very large house overlooking the Town Quay, was Belvoir House where Doctor Woakes lived. This was bought and then demolished so that it and its grounds could be used to build a new estate of houses, the main road through it being named Belvoir Close. Cams Alders Farm was taken over by Tom Parkers Daries and his fleet of horse-drawn milk floats became a common site around Fareham for many years.
1932- The Fareham Urban District was expanded to take in Crofton, Portchester, Sarisbury, Titchfield and Warsash. Westbury Manor, a large and gracious home, which had been home to Dame Madeleine Eva Waistell, was sold to Fareham Urban District Council and became their offices.
Fareham residents decided that Nurse Cresswell, a midwife who travelled everywhere on her bicycle, should have a new one and raised £25 for the purpose. Meoncross school was founded and the population of Fareham was now about 22,000.
1933 - The Alexandra Theatre was no more and was closed down. Among the reasons for its demise was the competition from the much more modern Savoy Cinema which had just been opened and which had the added attraction of a restaurant.
1934 - The dual railway line from Fareham to Gosport was singled because the amount of rail traffic had gradually decreased since the end of the First World War.
1936 - The little church of St Francis at Funtley celebrated its 100th birthday.
1937 - Because the Fareham to Gosport railway lione was becoming uneconomic, experiments were conducted with a petrol-engined rail bus which was developed by a French company, but they were declared unsuccessful.
1938 - A new cinema rose from the closed Alexandra Theatre in the form of the Embassy. Both it and the already opened Savoy drew patrons from far afield and were packed at each performance.
1939 - Anderson shelters were delivered to every household and an ARP Centre was established in Portland Chambers. HMS Colllingwood came into being as a 'New Entry Training Establishment for Special Reserve Ratings'. The population of Fareham has risen to about 37,000.
1940 - Fareham House in East Street was requisitioned by the government for emergency war service as the headquarters of the 25th Anti-Aircraft Brigade. Eventually this was transferred to Fort Fareham. A British Restaurant was opened in Westbury Road.
1941 - On the night of the 10th/11th March, Fareham suffered its worst bombing raid. Cams Hall was requisitioned by the Admiralty to Accommodate the manager of the engineering separtmen's Drawing Office staff whose dockyard office had been bombed. They remained at Cams for the duration of the war.
1943 - Fareham was heavily involved in the build-up of troops and resoutrces for D-Day. A 'Holidays at Home' campaign was run in Fareham and a skeleton was discovered four feet down in clay and gravel by workmen digging at the Quaywhich had been a primitive hospital for very ill prisoners from the prison hulk ships moored in Fareham Lake.
HMS Collingwood was bombed resulting in the death of thiry ratings.
1944 - Troops left the area in June for the D-Day invasion. A Flying Bomb burst on the scene in the summer and one cut out over Stubbington in June. One person was killed and the explosion destroyed the old blacksmith's forge, a shop, the village post office and the telephone exchange. Holy Rood Church was also damaged.
1947 - Statistcs revealed that the population of Fareham was now over 40,000. Seafield House School became the Admiralty's School for Artificer Apprentices.
1948 - St Christopher's Hospital in the Wickham Road was opened on the original site of the Fareham Union Workhouse.
1950 - The Bedenham explosion took place on 14th July. There had been recurring sounds of exploding ammunition in the naval storage yard and police came round warning people to open doors and windows. Then came the big explosion with a cloud rising to 6,000 feet. The glass was blown out of every window in West Street.
1951 - The first public library opened and the population of Fareham had grown to about 45,000.
1953 - The rail link to Gosport ended for passenger traffic on 6th June although freight working remained.
1955 - The Meon Valley railway was closed to passenger traffic on 5th February.
1956 - Fareham Girls Grammar School opened.
1957 - A huge fire broke out at the Hoeford Bus Garage on the night of 18th June destroying four double-decker buses and a coach. Brivkmaking of the 'Fareham Reds' at the Fontley site ceased during the year.
1960 - The new Law Courts were built.
1963 - The church of St John the Evangelist in Redlands Lane was consecrated.
1966 - Hellyer's Coach Company was established. Fareham and District Model Railway Club was founded.
1967 - The Brick and Tile Works at Fontley closed. Stubbington House, which had been an attractive Queen Anne building, was demolished. Fareham became twinned with Vannes in Brittany and a charter was signed between the two towns.
1968 - The Meon Valley railway line was closed.
1969 - On 30th January, all rail traffic to Gosport ceased.
1970 - One of Fareham's oldest shops, Dodge & Son finally closed. It had always prided itself on being able to supply many brands of boots and shoes, clothing and haberdashery. After the end of the First World War they had branched out into making men's suits on the premises. The building of the M27 motorway was started.
1973 - A new and larger public libraray opened this year and the population of Fareham was continually rising and is now about 65,000.
1974 - The crew of a dredger which had been fishing in teh creek, reported seeing dying eels and crabs trying to get out of the water. It was discovered that the oxygen content was too low to support marine life. Improvements were made to the sewage system and by 1980 all sewage was diverted to the Peel Common works.
Fareham became a borough and Prices School became a Sixth Form College was was renamed Prices College.
1975 - The building of the first stage of a new shopping centre was started and brickmaking at Bursledon ceased when the site was closed down.
1976 - Fareham Urban District Council moved their offices from Westbury Manor to the new purpose-built civic offices off Church Path and behind St Peter and Paul's church. Marks and Spencer opened its shop in the new precinct in the autumn and was the first 'prestige' store to attract customers. It had a staff of 130.
1979 - Building commenced to create Fareham Industrial Park.
1981 - An expansion of the shopping centre was started.
1982 - The opening of Fernham Hall in February saw a large multi-purpose venue with over 1,000 seating capacity. The well known Fareham resident, Tom Parker died.
1983 - In March, an arson attack on Fareham station destroyed the ticket office and part of the platform roof. The Embassy cinema was pulled down.
1984 - Due to the popularity of the area and also to attract new investment, work commenced on expanding the Fareham Industrial Park.
1985 - A business survey carried out by Southampton University showed that there were 4,500 people commuting from Fareham to Gosport each day with 3,500 going in the opposite direction.
1988 - Building work commenced to create another Business Park for Fareham which was to be called the Solent Business Park.
1990 - Westbury Manor Museum opened in the old Council Offices building in West Street.
1992 - The spire of Holy Trinity Church in West Street was pulled down because of its dangerous condition.
1993 - The new Fareham Bus Station opened and Jeffery's furniture store was no more.
1994 - The new Magistrates Court opened.
2000 - The population of Fareham, due to the expansion and new housing areas, increased to about 107.000.
We are currently creating content for this section. In order to be able to keep up with our high standards of service, we need a little more time. Please stop by again. Thank you for your interest!